Skip to main content

ORGANIZE YOUR EXERCISES FOR EFFICIENCY

EXERCISE ORDER by Mike Hupertz, B.S. Kinesiology, NASM CPT 

Basic rule of thumb is start with larger muscle groups first and then focus on smaller muscle groups / isolation exercises second. For instance, the chest press or bench press utilizes not only the chest but also the stabilizers such as triceps, shoulders and abdominals. It would be more efficient to start with the chest press first and triceps press / pull-down second. This is because the triceps have been pre-worked or warm-up during the chest press…therefore less time and effort would be needed to achieve overload during the triceps press / pull-down.

Also, if smaller muscle groups are worked before larger muscle groups…i.e. arms before chest…the arms will tend to overcompensate for the chest and tire out or reach overload before the chest ever does. This gives the exerciser the illusion that they reached overload when in all actuality they have not. The chest would not be properly stimulated under such an exercise order.

Exception: Large chest and small arms. Under this circumstance then yes…start with the arm exercises first and them move on to chest exercises.  Here, the chest would be overcompensating for the arms. Therefore, to correct this, start with the arm exercises first and end with chest. (or reduce amount of chest exercises and increase arm exercises focusing on arms first…chest second) This usually seen with more advanced exercisers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Andy Cohen on Drunken New Year’s Eve Rant, Getting COVID & Star on the H...

I can't wait for this event! Finally I am in LA to see this guy in person after the New Years Eve Celebration. Friday 11:30am 66522 Hollywood Blvd. About 2 miles from where I live! Yay! https://walkoffame.com/press_releases/andycohen/

GMCLA's Hooray for Holidays - Behind the Scenes - December 16 & 17 at th...

I saw the Gay Men's Chorus LA in concert on Saturday. What an awesome performance.  This show had me worry all night though. There was a lack of knowledge in regards to seating chart. I received blank looks when I asked where my seat was. Then, when I got to the row I was supposed to be in the seat numbers were off. My ticket said seat 103 and yet I sat in seat 10, I think. Overall, the concert was fabulous. I love how they chose TV and movie themed Christmas tunes. Snow Meiser and Heat Meiser were a blast. Thank you for a wonderful performance. I had a fabulous time and look forward to next year. 

Taron Egerton - Rocket Man (Official Video)