Skip to main content

ARTICLE REVIEW 1 Michael Hupertz Special Investigations 21SP HHPR 806-81 - Pittstate University

8 Coaching Techniques Great Trainers Use to Help Their Clients Succeed |   thePTDC | Coaching Skills | The PTDC | by Travis Pollen

reviewed by Michael Hupertz for Pittstate University Online MS Health and Human Performance

I am reviewing the article titled “8 Coaching Techniques Great Trainers Use to Help Their Clients Succeed,” by Travis Pollen. The article was chosen after a google search for “teaching strategies personal training.” This was the top article in the search results. 


My primary motive was to find teaching strategies that would be useful for educating a client about health, fitness and physical activity. However, I did not find that. What I found was Travis Pollen’s article based on primitive personal training practices of which create a negative attitude toward physical fitness and thus deter the larger population from engaging in physical activity. What does “perfect reps” or proper form have to do with physical activity and physical fitness? 


Proper form or “perfect reps” to me might be better related to the CDC’s BMI Calculator but not to health and fitness or “Personal Trainer Techniques.” However, my specialty differs in that I am concerned with endurance and performance or increasing the physical activity of a client versus proper or “perfect” technique. Because, to me, perfect technique or “perfect reps” only describes a more efficient movement strategy that conserves energy. But, the majority of the USA according to the CDC is obese or overweight (73.6%) and thus more in need of incorrect technique that utilizes more energy expenditure per exercise than a “perfect reps” strategy.


“Perfect Reps” might be better suited for a triathlete interested in conserving energy or storing fuel to complete a triathlon event. An overweight or obese client is already excellent at conserving energy and storing fuel but more in need of physical activity or exercises that reduces the amount of conserved energy or stored fat. Thus, the “correct” or “perfect reps” technique that is discussed by Travis Pollen in his article 8 Coaching Techniques Great Trainers Use to Help Their Clients Succeed does not seem to relate to the general population and definitely does not help reduce our society's overweight and / or obesity epidemic.      





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Andy Cohen on Drunken New Year’s Eve Rant, Getting COVID & Star on the H...

I can't wait for this event! Finally I am in LA to see this guy in person after the New Years Eve Celebration. Friday 11:30am 66522 Hollywood Blvd. About 2 miles from where I live! Yay! https://walkoffame.com/press_releases/andycohen/

GMCLA's Hooray for Holidays - Behind the Scenes - December 16 & 17 at th...

I saw the Gay Men's Chorus LA in concert on Saturday. What an awesome performance.  This show had me worry all night though. There was a lack of knowledge in regards to seating chart. I received blank looks when I asked where my seat was. Then, when I got to the row I was supposed to be in the seat numbers were off. My ticket said seat 103 and yet I sat in seat 10, I think. Overall, the concert was fabulous. I love how they chose TV and movie themed Christmas tunes. Snow Meiser and Heat Meiser were a blast. Thank you for a wonderful performance. I had a fabulous time and look forward to next year. 

Taron Egerton - Rocket Man (Official Video)