Skip to main content

TOPIC 3: HAZING IS AN ACCEPTABLE SPORTS TEAM PRACTICE

Discussion Topic 3-Sportsmanship and Hazing

  • Social Psychology of Sport and Recreation Sp 2021 Online

Module 3 Topic 2 - Sometimes there are "rites of passage" or "initiations" that occur within sports teams of all levels. The collective term that this is occasionally referred to is hazing. Do you see any problems with hazing or is it an acceptable practice within a sports team environment? 

”FOR HAZING”

I see hazing as an acceptable practice within a sports team or organization. Hazing, rites of passage, or initiations to me refer to a celebration event of which occurs after certain requirements have been met...aka graduation of which one receives a diploma or certificate etc. The “hazing” event is a celebration or completion of required tasks such as gaining a professional NBA basketball job. 

As noted in the text, such NBA jobs are virtually impossible with all the odds against gaining such a position. Therefore, I believe that it would be acceptable to have a celebration to initiate or celebrate a new associate, team member or partner. The term hazing though has negative connotations attached to it. Such negative connotations though do seem to receive more media attention than non hazed parties or celebrations.

Also, I would like to add that since the requirements have already been met that hazing is a two way street on the path of choice. For instance, with this course. It is evident that there are a list of requirements to complete by the end of the semester or close of class.

Step one is the payment for the course and that has already been completed. Therefore, I have paid money to receive a passing grade. Though, I am now “hassled” “heckled” and / or “teased” by the People, Federal Government, Department of Education and the “unknown” (all of which have invested in me) in my pursuit to achieve such a goal. So, one might say that I have already completed such a task of passing this course? Or that I am being observed or watched?

Therefore, I understand my choice and goal of gaining a passing grade. I have invested my own time, effort and money in order to do so. However, there are certain requirements that I must meet of which to gain and prove mastery of skills. These requirements have until the end of the course closes; I read the schedule of classes and the start is January 19th and the end is Friday May 07, 2021.  (Links to an external site.)

Therefore, I am looking forward to a self-inflicted “hazing” or celebration event following the completion of this course and upon receiving a passing grade. I will be “hassled” “tortured” or “terrorized” along the way in order to help increase my communication skills in regards to adaptations to the proposed or outlined agenda by the instructor. Most of this self hazing upon me is again self-inflicted. The choice thus then is mine.

P.S. I googled the term “haze” and found that it has alternative meanings such as “a sativa marijuana strain” (Links to an external site.)- so yes, as a California resident of which recreational marijuana is legal, yes, I am all for hazing.


Synonyms for Hazing: (Links to an external site.)

taunting

teasing

hassling

baiting

heckling

mocking

ridiculing

gibing

deriding

ribbing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Andy Cohen on Drunken New Year’s Eve Rant, Getting COVID & Star on the H...

I can't wait for this event! Finally I am in LA to see this guy in person after the New Years Eve Celebration. Friday 11:30am 66522 Hollywood Blvd. About 2 miles from where I live! Yay! https://walkoffame.com/press_releases/andycohen/

GMCLA's Hooray for Holidays - Behind the Scenes - December 16 & 17 at th...

I saw the Gay Men's Chorus LA in concert on Saturday. What an awesome performance.  This show had me worry all night though. There was a lack of knowledge in regards to seating chart. I received blank looks when I asked where my seat was. Then, when I got to the row I was supposed to be in the seat numbers were off. My ticket said seat 103 and yet I sat in seat 10, I think. Overall, the concert was fabulous. I love how they chose TV and movie themed Christmas tunes. Snow Meiser and Heat Meiser were a blast. Thank you for a wonderful performance. I had a fabulous time and look forward to next year. 

Taron Egerton - Rocket Man (Official Video)